Kamis, 31 Januari 2008

A Homeschooler’s Life

What is homeschooling? Many peoples have their own stereotype. But, based on my experience, almost everybody simply clarify it as “schooling at home”. As a result they suggest that the appearance of teachers, chairs, white board, and other elements supporting formal learning would obviously become a must. But before we become bamboozled by this “misperception”, let’s hear how the experts illuminate homeschooling.
The American homeschooling expert Mary Griffith states in her inspirational book, The Unschooling Handbook, that homeschooling is a style of education that gives children the liberty to learn as he wish without being limited by time, curriculum and other things that, in many cases, put a boundary on the children. To be honest, I think that this is the most agreeable perception of homeschooling. But, another opinion from Kak Seto, the “local-face” in terms of education expert, is quite a thing to hear. He declares that homeschooling is an alternative way of education that puts children as a subject (not as an object) by using an “at home” approach that gives the children convenience in learning. Pretty complicated indeed, Kak Seto.
In common, there are four types of homeschooling. The first one is the traditional type of homeschooling. This one, if I may say, is constant with what I had said earlier. This is the main stereotype of homeschooling. Because, honestly, this type of homeschooling only “moved” the school inside the house. So, this means that curriculum is still alive and well, teachers exist, and other formal equipments and requirements are compulsory to do this type of homeschooling properly. The way of learning usually doesn’t change much than those of formal schools. Another type of homeschooling is Unit Study. This sort of homeschooling, in my opinion, is somewhat radical and slightly controversial. Why is that so? Because, in this homeschooling, let’s say the homeschooler (a popular nickname for homeschooling students) only want to learn mathematics, then so be it. Mathematics would be the only thing he will learn as long as the homeschooler’s family still uses the method of Unit Study. After that, along came Eclectic Homeschooling. This literally is the result of a mixture between Unit Study and traditional homeschooling. The difference is, in this type of homeschooling subject matter (theme) is given to the homeschooler, making the learning process slightly easier. And after that came unschooling. In this type of homeschooling, children are encouraged to learn from a wide variety of references. Whether it is from internet, books, encyclopedias, or other things that could be used as a source of information. All types of homeschooling have its own weakness and strengthens, and it’s your choice to pick which one is the best.
Equipments needed to do homeschooling are, essentially, simple. But, it depends on the type of homeschooling you pick. Fancy some traditional homeschooling? Look for some teachers and buy utensils supporting formal tutelage like chairs, whiteboard, etc. Be sure that a curriculum is set, and basically, just move the formal school inside the house. If you prefer to use Unit Study as your homeschooling modus operandi, prepare all things that match the children’s interest. Example, if your “homeschooler-to-be” is captivated by Geography, buy some atlas, globes, and other equipments supporting Geographic learning. If you decide that Eclectic homeschooling is the most agreeable selection, you must prepare both of the equipments needed in the traditional type and the Unit Study.
But, the basic question asked to me when I told them of my identity as a homeschooler, obviously, is why? Why do I choose homeschooling amidst the increasing quantities of “high quality” schools? Honestly, when my parents told me about homeschooling, my doubts are on its highest level. At that time, I thought that going to school and taking lessons is the only option to get a proper mode of education, my mind is still very academic. Another thing is that I have never really heard of homeschooling before. But, I then look at the other side of homeschooling. The “Independence Factor” on children which, sadly, is being violated in many formal schools everywhere, is guaranteed at homeschooling. I became more and more tempted after my parents gave me a learning plan I agreed on. But there is still one thing that bugs me at that time. What is it? Yep, socialization. Of course, at that time I have no idea on how to look for friends outside school and lessons. Moreover, socializing with children in my neighborhood is never a frequent behavior. But, my parents assure me that I could still have friends because, going to school doesn’t assure my socialization, but is my will to socialize and make new friends. Even if I was studying in a school with 95 students each class, if I refused to socialize, am I going to get a friend? Instantly, I agreed with this perception. Furthermore, my parents assure me that the spare times available in homeschooling would allow me to take more lessons, and even Forrest Gump would know that lessons are one way to gain more friends. And so, bedazzled by the prospect of homeschooling, I chose to accept the offer of doing homeschooling. It’s just too good to refuse. In the end, it’s my parent’s influence that made me go homeschooling.
At first, it’s not easy. I have to get used to a new type of learning, and a new type of liberality. Although liberty and independence has long become my dream, I found it hard to accomplish even after I have all the necessary facilities. Moreover, my family’s decision to go homeschooling is responded in an unappreciative manner by our relatives. This is a thing that, I think, happens to almost all children who has only started homeschooling. Take a look at the experience of “Salatiga’s Bill Gates”, M.Izza Ahsin. Having had enough of school, he decided to go homeschooling. At first, his decision to drop out of school was highly opposed by everyone, even his parents. But after continuous negotiations, at last he became a homeschooler amidst the disillusionment of his relatives. And now, he’s quite a writer, making an inspirational yet controversial book called A World Without School (Dunia Tanpa Sekolah). The thing that happened to him also happened to me. Although my relatives are not as oppressive as his. Almost everybody in my family criticized our decision, and sometimes they persuaded me and my little brother Deli who also joins homeschooling to go back to school. But our family persisted. So, we continued our homeschooling method despite the continuous criticism from my relatives. But, amidst those criticisms, sarcasm, and skepticism, me and my brother enjoyed this homeschooling and can only describe it as, wow.
Despite the fact that many disputes came after the almost-frequent rule breakings and the never-ending sarcasm and misunderstandings continue the liberty to choose for your own, the liberation to be yourself and the emancipation to arrange your own undertakings seems to have abolished all those criticisms. By allowing me to be myself, I gained extra credit in confidence, thus encouraging me to express my interpretation and opinion more than I use to. In homeschooling, I’m also encouraged to make my own schedule. I judge by myself whether it is realistic enough, whether it could accommodate my objective for today or not, and so on and so forth. This policy helps me to be less reliant to other people. Moreover, the principal of homeschooling (my homeschooling, at least) which is “we can learn everywhere, about anything, at any time, and to anyone” really gives me a great deal of convenience. This allows me to learn of something even when I was on the airport. To top it all, homeschooling really did change my life.
But of course, one of every homeschooler-to-be’s nost common fear is about one thing, socialization. Of course, in some people’s point of view, the fact that homeschoolers merely stayed at home disables them to socialize properly with the surrounding world. But the real fact apparently says that homeschooler didn’t just stay at home and learn things. Because approximately 7 hours of their time isn’t used to go to school, homeschoolers obviously has a lot of spare time. This spare time allows the homeschoolers, other than going to lessons, which I have mentioned before, to just go to ceremonies and shows with children there. It would be better if the children follow a homeschooling community. Annually, homeschooling communities (or at least, my homeschooling community) held a show in certain places. Usually, other homeschooler attends that show, and a chance of socialization submerged itself. I also heard one of Kak Seto’s sayings, and I depict that, based on that opinion, ordinary school children does have friends. Yes, that means their socialization wheel is still turning. So, what’s the special thing about it? They meet the same friends everyday. They socialize with the same friends everyday. They have many friends, but their friends is the same everyday. So, where are their stimuli to socialize? He already has some friends. There’s no new friend. So, their socialization skill is just (no offense) inferior. They’re like a blunt knife. But, it’s compulsory for us to remember that not every school children are like that. Some school children does have an impressive level of socialization. Now, we look at homeschoolers. They have no real friends. If we count ‘real friends’ as a friend you meet everyday. So, to maintain their socialization, they have to cope with the situations. Meaning? They have to make friends with everybody that, in their opinion, is suitable to be his friends. The knife is sharpened almost every time, thus maintaining the socialization level of homeschoolers. So, actually the key to good socialization is the will to socialize. No matter what you are, ordinary students or homeschoolers, if you refused to socialize, you won’t get any friends. Get it?
Indeed, homeschooling is a family-based education. Almost all decisions are made by family. Even the decision to start doing homeschooling must be a two-way agreement. The Parent’s side and the children’s side must reach an agreement in terms of modus operandi in learning, rules and regulations, and other things.
Another thing is that patience is needed in homeschooling. The result of homeschooling won’t come instantly. Why? Because learning is not like an instant noodle. An instant noodle needs only 3 minute of process to make it ready to serve. Homeschooling’s result would only appear after some time of learning. How long would it be? It actually depends on the children’s progress and the effectiveness of the learning program. But to give you a little clue, it would be a bit longer than 3 minutes. The key is not to give childrens a lot of stimuli without pushing the homeschoolers too hard.
Please remember two more things. One, homeschooling’s not easy. I believe that not much explaining would be needed for this matter, as I have mentioned about the difficulties of doing homeschooling. What matters is that you don’t give up homeschooling just because of the pressures. And two, homeschooling is a choice. An alternative. This is not the only way of proper learning. Every child’s style is different. Some childrens, me for example, does best as a homeschooling. But other childens does better in formal school. The children’s choice must also be heard. Because, as I believed I had mentioned previously, homeschooling is a two-way agreement.
Honeschooling’s a choice, everybody. The question is:
What’s your choice?

1 komentar:

wew mengatakan...

Waaw, whadda impressive writing. I do believe that homeschooling children could get the same quality of social life if they could manage social or communal gathering/event. Good luck boys!